Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, an organic substance, is a carboxymethylated derivative of cellulose and is the predominant ionic cellulose gum. CMC-Na is a white fibrous or granular powder, odourless, tasteless, hygroscopic and easily dispersed in water to form a transparent colloidal solution.
CMC is widely used as slurry treatment agent for oil industry, synthetic detergent, organic detergent aid, textile printing and dyeing sizing agent, water-soluble gelatinous tackifier for daily-use chemical products, tackifier and emulsifier for pharmaceutical industry, thickener for food industry, adhesive for ceramic industry, industrial paste, sizing agent for paper industry, etc. It is used as a flocculant in water treatment, mainly for wastewater sludge treatment, and can improve the solid content of the filter cake.
Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is also a kind of thickening agent, because of its good functional properties make it in the food industry has been widely used, it also to a certain extent to promote the rapid and healthy development of the food industry.
For example, because it has a certain thickening and emulsifying effect, it can be used to stabilise yoghurt drinks and increase the viscosity of yoghurt systems; because it has a certain hydrophilic and rehydrophobic effect, it can be used to improve the eating quality of pasta such as bread and steamed buns, extend the shelf life of pasta products and enhance the taste; because it has a certain gel effect, it is conducive to the better formation of food gel, so it can be used in the manufacture of jelly and jam It can also be used as an edible coating material, which can be used in combination with other thickeners and applied to the surface of some food products to maximise freshness and has no adverse effects on human health as it is an edible material.
Therefore, edible grade CMC-Na is very commonly used as an ideal food additive in food production in the food industry.
CMC for Printing and Dyeing has the following characteristics.
1. Super high degree of substitution and uniform distribution of substituents.
2. Stable viscosity, excellent salt and alkali resistance, and good dilution resistance.
3. Excellent filterability and fluidity of the solution.
4. Excellent colourability.
5. High efficiency in washing after printing and dyeing, good fabric feel and softness comparable to sodium alginate.
6. Good water holding capacity, fine patterns can be printed.
7. Very few gel particles, no blemishes in printing and dyeing.
8. No reducibility itself, little effect on the colour and light of the dye.